Our Special Reports:

The good news is that the quality of medical care in most major cities has improved markedly over the last ten years.  In most major cities, there is generally one to two good quality medical facilities that can provide most basic medical support.  However, in the countryside this is oftentimes not the case. 

Further, many of the high tech and even sometimes basic procedures practiced in the U.S., Canada and Europe in the event of a heart attack or other medical emergency are not as readily available in Asia.  Therefore, medically before you travel, especially to some of the lesser developed areas of Asia, the most important thing you can do is to get medical insurance that will pay for a medical evacuation in the unlikely event that your require this service.  Every year thousands of Americans fall sick overseas only to find out that the local foreign hospital often requires payment upfront for medical services and that their medical insurance will not cover the cost of medical evacuation to the nearest western quality medical facility specializing in dealing with the medical condition that ails them.  The time to check your medical insurance and to correct this problem is NOW, before you travel.  Get additional insurance if necessary but ensure you have medical coverage that will protect you on your trip.

Medical Emergencies in SE Asia
insight on medical care, preparation and emergency

When traveling in Asia, have an adequate supply of any regular medications you take.  Also take headache medications, Band-Aids, ointment, sunscreen, and mosquito repellent if you are traveling to the tropics.  Chances are you will have a great trip and won’t have a problem but it is always better to be prepared so that your relatives aren’t required to try to assist you from around the world and you don’t have to deal with a medical emergency in a new and difficult environment. 

<>Make sure you review your vaccination record and get any necessary shots.

The U.S. Center for Disease Control determines recommended inoculations or shots for all countries visited.  Information on required inoculations for Asian countries can be secured at the websites below:

Website: or

The Department of State has Passport Offices in many major U.S. cities.  Passports are also available by mail.  Please see the website below for information:
Passport questions can also be directed to (202) 647-0518

Per Diem
(Estimating the cost of your Trip)

The U.S. Department of State office of Allowances sets U.S. government daily per diem rates for food and lodging in U.S. cities and foreign countries.  These amounts are used by major corporations and international organizations for reimbursing their own employees.  This information can be useful in helping you know how much your trip will cost.  Click here to see the website and the most recent report date

Security and other Considerations

The Department of State Diplomatic Security Bureau website provides useful information on security and other recommendations for business travelers, Click here to see their website

Our exclusive interview with Mr. John Muller on Security in SE Asia

Asia Table of Comparison: Global Peace Index Rankings 2008 - Resource: The Economist Intelligence Unit  (EIU)

For Vietnam:

 For Thailand:
For China:
  • Beijing:
    Beijing International SOS Clinic
    24-Hour Medical Service/Emergency
    (All staff is English speakers)
    Tel. 6462-9112;6462-9100

    Beijing United Family Hospital
    2 Jingtain Road
    Tel. 6433-3960
    24-Hour Medical Service/Emergency
    (All staff speaks English)
    International Medical Center (IMC)        
    Lufthansa Center
    24-Hour Medical Service/Emergency in Beijing
    (English assistance)

Lost Passport

If you lose the passport, you need to promptly report this information to your countries nearest Embassy or Consulate.  Usually the Consular Section is the place who will receive this report.  For information on replacing a lost or stolen passport, please see the website below:


Lost Wallet

If you wallet is lost or stolen while you are overseas, you will immediately need to report the loss to the local authorities (your hotel Concierge can help with this) and cancel all your credit cards. 

If you have read the security tips and other considerations of this page, you will have listed the numbers separately and be in a better position to quickly cancel your cards.  First steps should be to call the hotel operator and get the phone number of the local number for American Express, Diners, Mastercard and Visa.  If the hotel cannot provide this information, please call the U.S. Embassy Consular Section and they should be able to help you.  If your credit card company does not have an office in the country you are visiting, the best alternative is to call your family and have them call the U.S. number and cancel the card.  They can also inquire how and where you can get a new card reissued either in the country you are visiting or in a following stop.

Reporting a Crime

If you have properly prepared for your trip and followed the security and other travel tips given in the first steps portion of this page, chances are you will not be a victim of a crime.  In the less likely event that you do find yourself a victim, you should report the crime to the hotel security staff and to the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.  Both the hotel staff and the Embassy staff will endeavor to help you report the crime to local police and get any required copy of the police report, which may be necessary for insurance purposes.




Copyright, 2008 © Runckel & Associates
Terms of use

Runckel & Associates logo

About Us | Contact Us