plan your business trip to China

Chinese Visa

Currency: yuan (CNY); note - also referred to as the Renminbi (RMB).
1.00 USD = 6.85 CNY (2009)
Current exchange rate: click here

Weather: extremely diverse; tropical in south to subarctic in north.  Check weather in Beijing, click here.

Telephone:  China Country Code :  86
  • Area code for Beijing is: 010
  • Area code for Shanghai is: 021
Long distance call to China:

- 011 - US exit code; then 86 - country code; area code - 2 - 4 digit area codes (take out the first 0); then phone numbers

In-country call:

- Cell phone to land line in Beijing first dial 010 and then the 8-digit number. In another Chinese city, dial 0+ two-digit city code, plus the number.
- Cell phone to the US, dial 001+area code and number.

Knowing a few words of any language helps to show your business contacts and people you meet, etc., that you are interested in their country and seek more than a short-term gain.  Here are a few keywords:

Hello: Ni Hao
How are you?: Ni Hao ma?
Please: Qing
Thank you: Xie xie
You're welcome: Bu keqi
Excuse me: Dui buqi
My name is: Wode mingzi jiao...
I understand: Wo ming bai
I don't understand: Wo bu ming bai
Please wait: Qing deng yi xia
Good bye: Zai jian

- Etiquette: Making Contacts, Business Meetings, Negotiation, Business Hours

- Emergency: Medical, Hospitals, Lost Passport, Lost Wallet, Reporting a Crime

- Comparing in Asia:
Safety and Security | Health and Hygiene | Air Transport | Ground Transport 

- Planning A Business Trip: Ten Things To Think Of Before You Go

- Exhibitions in Asia

- Read about:

china trip
airport in China
Chinese art, paintings
- Trip to Beijing
- To Shanghai
- To Hong Kong
- To Lijiang, Yunnan
- Weihai, Shandong
- Taizhou, Zhejiang
- Suzhou
- Shenzhen

- Airports in China

- Train service in Shanghai

- A Trip on high speed rail

- Chinese names

- Chinese food

- Chinese Art

  Green Energy Conference
>> Click here for more details

Arranging Executive MBA trips

Our service: Assisting Executive MBA Programs and Business Groups
Runckel & Associates Services: Visit Facilitation
  • On the Ground Support
  • Site Selection, Logistics, Licenses for Building and operating Factories in China
  • Sourcing Products, Meet the companies
Contact us, or click here for more information

>Runckel & Associates has experienced English-speaking associates on the ground in China to prepare and support your visits:
  Most of these associates have been working with us for 6-8 years during which they have performed a wide variety of projects with us.  This gives you and your company experience, knowledge, a trusted partner and an advantage helping you in all aspects of your new endeavor in Asia.
>Site selection and logistics during the visits:  We regularly work with the major industrial parks, national business promotion agencies and local specialists on site selection, licenses and permits.  We therefore can arrange meetings and visits that can help simplify your data collection and help ensure that you are receiving the most accurate information and are not missing key facts or failing to consider important information that can make your project more profitable and more predictable in terms of its success.
>Sourcing products and visiting factories during the visits:  We are specialists in assisting companies seeking to produce products or to source products in all parts of China.  Our specialists in China can help you find the best company to produce and source your product and visit them.


www www.Business-in-asia.com
Runckel & Associates LogoContact us


Visit our other website: Asia-Art.net

Emergency in China:  Medical > Hospitals > Lost Passport > Lost Wallet > Reporting a Crime

The good news is that the quality of medical care in most major cities has improved markedly over the last ten years.  In most major cities, there is generally one to two good quality medical facilities that can provide most basic medical support.  However, in the countryside this is oftentimes not the case. 

Further, many of the high tech and even sometimes basic procedures practiced in the U.S., Canada and Europe in the event of a heart attack or other medical emergency are not as readily available in Asia.  Therefore, medically before you travel, especially to some of the lesser developed areas of Asia, the most important thing you can do is to get medical insurance that will pay for a medical evacuation in the unlikely event that your require this service.  Every year thousands of Americans fall sick overseas only to find out that the local foreign hospital often requires payment upfront for medical services and that their medical insurance will not cover the cost of medical evacuation to the nearest western quality medical facility specializing in dealing with the medical condition that ails them.  The time to check your medical insurance and to correct this problem is NOW, before you travel.  Get additional insurance if necessary but ensure you have medical coverage that will protect you on your trip.

When traveling in Asia, have an adequate supply of any regular medications you take.  Also take headache medications, Band-Aids, ointment, sunscreen, and mosquito repellent if you are traveling to the tropics.  Chances are you will have a great trip and won’t have a problem but it is always better to be prepared so that your relatives aren’t required to try to assist you from around the world and you don’t have to deal with a medical emergency in a new and difficult environment. 

Make sure you review your vaccination record and get any necessary shots.

The U.S. Center for Disease Control determines recommended inoculations or shots for all countries visited.  Information on required inoculations for Asian countries can be secured at the websites below:

Website:http://www.cdc.gov/travel/eastasia.htm or 

Per Diem
(Estimating the cost of your Trip)

The U.S. Department of State office of Allowances sets U.S. government daily per diem rates for food and lodging in U.S. cities and foreign countries.  These amounts are used by major corporations and international organizations for reimbursing their own employees.  This information can be useful in helping you know how much your trip will cost.  Click here to see the website and the most recent report date

Security and other Considerations

The Department of State Diplomatic Security Bureau website provides useful information on security and other recommendations for business travelers, Click here to see their website

For China - Bejijing:
  • Beijing:
    Beijing International SOS Clinic
    24-Hour Medical Service/Emergency
    (All staff is English speakers)
    Tel. 6462-9112;6462-9100
  • Beijing United Family Hospital
    2 Jingtain Road
    Tel. 6433-3960
    24-Hour Medical Service/Emergency
    (All staff speaks English)
  • International Medical Center (IMC)        
    Lufthansa Center
    24-Hour Medical Service/Emergency in Beijing
    (English assistance)

For China - Shanghai:

Huadong Hospital  
2F, 221 Yanan Xi Lu, Jingan District, Shanghai
Tel. 021- 6248-3180 ext 30106

Huashan Hospital    
15F, 12 Wulumuqi Zhong Lu, Jingan District, Shanghai
Tel. 021 - 6248-3986 , 021 - 6248-9999 ext 2531 for 24-hour hotline

Shanghai East International Medical Center    
551 Pudong Nan Lu, Pudong, Shanghai
Tel. 021 - 5879-9999

Shanghai United Family Hospital    
1111 Xianxia Lu, Changning District, Shanghai
Tel.  021 – 62911635

Huashan Hospital , 12 We Lu Mu Qi ( Middle Road )  
Tel. 021-62488251

American-Sino OB/Gyn Service   
14F, Complex Building in Huashan Hospital
12 Wulumuqi Zhong Lu, Shanghai
Tel. 021-62493246

Lost Passport

If you lose the passport, you need to promptly report this information to your countries nearest Embassy or Consulate.  Usually the Consular Section is the place who will receive this report.  For information on replacing a lost or stolen passport, please see the website below:

Website: http://travel.state.gov/lost_stolen.html

Lost Wallet

If you wallet is lost or stolen while you are overseas, you will immediately need to report the loss to the local authorities (your hotel Concierge can help with this) and cancel all your credit cards. 

If you have read the security tips and other considerations of this page, you will have listed the numbers separately and be in a better position to quickly cancel your cards.  First steps should be to call the hotel operator and get the phone number of the local number for American Express, Diners, Mastercard and Visa.  If the hotel cannot provide this information, please call the U.S. Embassy Consular Section and they should be able to help you.  If your credit card company does not have an office in the country you are visiting, the best alternative is to call your family and have them call the U.S. number and cancel the card.  They can also inquire how and where you can get a new card reissued either in the country you are visiting or in a following stop.

Reporting a Crime

If you have properly prepared for your trip and followed the security and other travel tips given in the first steps portion of this page, chances are you will not be a victim of a crime.  In the less likely event that you do find yourself a victim, you should report the crime to the hotel security staff and to the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.  Both the hotel staff and the Embassy staff will endeavor to help you report the crime to local police and get any required copy of the police report, which may be necessary for insurance purposes.



Go back to top


www www.Business-in-asia.com
Runckel & Associates LogoContact us


Visit our other website: Asia-Art.net

Chinese Names:  There are about one hundred widely used family names.  The five most common surnames are Chang (Chan in Cantonese), Wang, Li, Shao and Liu.  Although many of the surnames may be pronounced the same, the Chinese characters can be different.  In China, the family name precedes the given name, which is occasionally followed by the secon name or the western equivalent of a first name.  For example, Huang Hua would be called Mr. Huang, and Hua would be his given name.  However, some Chinese will switch the order of their names when they are dealing with foreigners.  Further, many Chinse adopt given names, many of which are Western names.  Married women rarely take their husband's family name.

Chinese Food: Chinese cuisine can be divided into four regional categories: Beijing/Mandarin and Shandong (with steamed bread and noodles as staples), Cantonese and Chaozhou (lightly cooked meats and vegetables), Shanghainese (the home of 'red cooking' and wuxi spare ribs) and Sichuan (spicy, with lots of chilli)